Save and borrow the smart way
Did you know there’s a better and safer way to borrow?
If you’re on a lower income or struggling to make ends meet, it can be tempting to use a doorstep lender or payday loan company. But these lenders can make your life a misery. Often, the interest they charge ends up spiralling out of control and it can take many years to pay off your debt.
Hoot Credit Union has been helping Bolton residents with affordable borrowing and secure savings for more than 15 years. Hoot runs on a not-for-profit basis, acts only in the interest of its credit union members, and keeps money local to benefit the whole community.
By joining Hoot, you’ll get:
- A trustworthy and reliable lender who’ll only let you borrow what you can afford
- A cap on the interest you pay, with rates starting at 12.7% APR
- To borrow between £200 and £15,000 depending on your circumstances
- A savings account – you can start with just a few pounds
- Free and confidential advice from trained staff
- To manage your account online, over the phone or (when restrictions allow) by visiting their branch located on Victoria Square in Bolton town centre
- Your savings protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) and Hoot is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
To become a member, you’ll need to be aged over 16 and save with Hoot regularly.
Hoot works in partnership with Bolton at Home to give our tenants and residents an affordable alternative to high-interest or unregulated lenders. Hoot is a member of the Credit Unions for Greater Manchester group, which has helped millions of people borrow money responsibly and start saving.