4/4: Quick and easy recipes
Four recipes with four ingredients– give these fuss-free dishes a try.
Spaghetti Carbonara (serves four)
6 slices bacon 6 egg yolks 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese (plus more at the end) 16 ounces spaghetti Plus salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Season well with salt. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the pack instructions (usually boil for 10 minutes). Save ½ cup of water at the end.
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon into small pieces and pan fry until crisp (about 7 minutes) using olive oil or sunflower oil.
- Whisk the yolks in a bowl, add salt and black pepper and slowly whisk in the ½ cup of starchy pasta water into the egg mixture.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the bacon pan. Turn the heat on medium-high, and toss the pasta with fat until very hot. Remove from heat.
- Pour in the egg mixture, along with the cheese, and toss with tongs. Keep tossing until the sauce thickens. If necessary, add more pasta water until you get desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle more grated parmesan cheese on top.
Black bean salsa burger (serves four)
Plant-based vegan recipe
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained) ½ cup of oats ½ cup of wholewheat flour, oat flour, or bread crumbs, etc ¼ cup + 2 tbsp your favourite salsa Plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil for binding
Four burger buns and toppings of your choice: lettuce, sliced tomato, ketchup, mustard, pickles etc
- Mash black beans in a bowl with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and stir to combine.
- Depending on how liquid your salsa is, you may need to add more flour. Add it 1 tbsp at a time if needed, mixing after each addition.
- Divide mixture into four and form each into a patty.
- Pan fry each burger patty for 3-4 minutes each side until lightly browned and crispy on the outside.
- Assemble burger on bun with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Chicken and rice casserole
4 chicken breasts cubed 1 cup of long grain white rice (uncooked) 1 (10-oz) can cream of mushroom soup 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- In a large pan, add rice and water and turn temperature to high until water begins to boil. Lower temperature and cook until rice is done and most of water has evaporated, stirring occasionally so rice does not stick to the bottom, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sauté the chicken and green beans until just done.
- Add the chicken, beans and mushroom soup to the rice, stirring until mixed.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C/gas mark 5. Add the mixture to a large casserole dish, spreading evenly across. Cook for 15-20 minutes until everything is heated and bubbling. Divide into four for a one-pot meal or add some extra vegetables.
Chocolate chip cookies
225g of butter 110g caster sugar 275g plain flour 75g chocolate chips
- Soften the butter by mixing in a bowl. Add the sugar and keep beating.
- Sift in the flour and add the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into balls, flatten them and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 170 degrees C/gas mark 5).